Your privacy is important to us (referred to as “we” or “us” in this policy) and the purpose of this policy is to tell you what personal information we collect about you, how we use it, whether we disclose it to anybody else and the purpose of any disclosure, how long we keep it, and how you can request access to your personal information or obtain more information about this Legacy Leasing Ltd’s privacy policies.
We provide detailed information relating to specific transactions and obtain your consent to collect, use and disclose your personal information on various application and other forms and at various times, including when you purchase or service your vehicle.
Personal Information: Personal information means any information about you that identifies you except your name, business title, business address and business telephone number if you are the employee of a business. It also does not include your home address and telephone number if these are published in a telephone or other directory and you had the opportunity to refuse to have your information listed.
We are responsible for the personal information under our control and we have designated a Privacy Officer to be responsible for our compliance with this policy and with privacy legislation. If you wish to contact our Privacy Officer, you can do so through the “Contact” section of this site.
What Personal Information do we Collect?
When you purchase or lease a vehicle from us, or when you have us service or repair a vehicle, or if you finance the purchase or lease of a vehicle through us or purchase or lease other products or services from or through us, participate in one of our surveys, contests, or promotions, test drive one of our vehicles or contact our dealership staff, we may collect some or all of the following personal information:
- your name, address and telephone number;
- your e-mail address and facsimile number;
- your occupation;
- information about your driving habits (such as preferred car size, colour, type of vehicle, kilometres driven annually, etc.);
- information about your existing vehicle(s) and any trade-in;
- details of your vehicle and its service history;
- your driver’s licence number;
- the name of your insurance company and agent;
- your insurance policy number and details about your insurance coverage;
- your language preference;
- your date of birth;
- your social insurance number;
- financial and credit information about you (specific information is set out in the application for credit forms); and
- the principle amount of your loan, interest and repayment schedule.Provision of your Social Insurance Number is optional. However, you should be aware that most Credit Reporting Agencies use the Social Insurance Number as a unique identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing credit reports. If you do not provide your Social Insurance Number, our ability to obtain a timely and accurate credit report may be affected.What Information do we Collect Electronically?For users of our website (the “Site”), the Site automatically collects information, such as the Internet domain name (“IP Address”) assigned to your computer or browser software when you are on the Internet, through electronic means. Information about your use of the Site is collected through “cookies” that exist only during your visit to the Site and are deleted once you logoff this Site or close your browser. Session cookies are only used by the Site to recognize your visit as a unique visit and to keep your visit on this Site separate from that of other visitors to this Site.
We may use the information we collect electronically to obtain aggregate data for the purposes of: improving our products and services to you; improving the design and content of the Site; and planning and other internal administrative functions. We also attempt to personalize your experience on the Site by, for example, suggesting products and services that we believe will be of interest to you.
The Security of your Personal Information is Important to Us
We protect your personal information with a variety of safeguards. Your personal information may be used by us for the purposes identified below and access to your personal information is limited to our personnel who need to access it to accomplish the identified purposes. We also take reasonable steps to see that the third parties described below, with which we may share personal information, provide a level of protection for that information that is comparable to our own.
How do we use your Personal Information?
Your personal information may be used by us to provide products, services and information to you such as: to obtain a license for your vehicle, to obtain a credit report if you are financing or leasing your vehicle, to obtain appropriate financing of your vehicle for you, to administer your vehicle warranty coverage and/or loan/lease protection, to provide you with a reminder that your vehicle requires servicing and to provide you with updates and information regarding products and services that we have to offer and which we think will be of interest to you, including marketing and promotional information. We may also use your information to respond to your requests for products, services and information, to improve products and services and to better understand your automotive needs. Where it is necessary, we will update your personal information.
Sometimes we have to Share your Personal Information with Others
We do not sell your personal information to third parties. We may share some or all of your personal information with third parties such as: other Dealers with whom we have established a customer relationship; the providers of products or services for your vehicle; credit reporting agencies; financial institutions or financing companies; your insurance agent or company; and companies which provide or insure warranties relating to third your vehicle. We may also disclose your personal information to third parties that provide us with services (“Service Providers”) such as data processing and marketing. We may share your personal information with the manufacturer of your vehicle and their Service Providers. Finally, we may disclose your personal information where we are required or permitted by law to do so.
How Long do we keep your Personal Information?
We retain your personal information as long as we believe that you are still the owner of the vehicle. If the information relates to the financing or lease of the vehicle, we retain personal information relating to the financing or lease arrangements as long as those arrangements are in place. If the information relates to the service or repair of your vehicle we retain the personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary to address any issues arising from the service or repair of the vehicle or as may be required by law. If there are legal requirements relating to the period of time which we must retain your personal information, we comply with those requirements.
What can you do if you want to Limit Our Use of Your Personal Information?
Most of our uses of your personal information are necessary for us to sell or lease you your vehicle, provide products and services related to the vehicle, assist you in the financing or lease of your vehicle or provide service to your vehicle and we cannot do this without that personal information. Similarly, we must disclose your personal information for many of the purposes described above including in order to sell you the vehicle, to provide products and services related to the vehicle, assist you in arrangements for financing or leasing or provide servicing to your vehicle. Some of the uses and disclosures described above are optional rather than required. If you do not want us to use or disclose your personal information in a particular way, please contact our Privacy Officer as described above and we will be pleased to discuss with you how we can limit our use or disclosure of your personal information.
You can Request Access to Your Personal Information
You have a right to access the personal information which we have about you, except in a limited number of circumstances established by law, and to request that personal information which you believe to be inaccurate be corrected. If you wish to access your personal information you should contact our Privacy Officer who will be pleased to assist you.